On 30 June 2023, Balticfloc Ltd concluded the LIFE_PHIPP project Alternative Processing of Waste Paper and Hemp Fibre into Innovative Thermal Insulation Materials with Improved Thermal Conductivity implemented by the European Commission LIFE Programme.
In the course of the project, a pilot production line ‘BF Technology’ was set up at Balticfloc production site in Cēsis to produce the innovative product BFlex. The new thermal sheet insulation material BFlex is produced from low-grade waste paper and hemp fibre. During the project, it was patented and the most suitable formulation was identified to maximise its performance and compete on the market.
Balticfloc LIFE_PHIPP project is one of the few LIFE Programme projects in Latvia that is implemented in-house and promotes the circular economy in the Latvian industrial sector.
The main environmental contribution of the LIFE_PHIPP project is the recycling of waste paper into new products, thus not landfilling or burning it for energy, but encapsulating CO2 emissions in new products for another 50 years.
We invite you to consult the project LIFE_PHIPP layman report
Main objectives of the project:
The main objective of the project is to develop an innovative environmentally friendly thermal insulation material made from low quality waste paper and hemp fibre.
- Promote the use of BFlex recycled paper and hemp fibre heat insulation material in building insulation.
- Increase recycling of low-quality waste paper and avoid landfilling or incineration of paper fibre.
- Along with the distribution of BFlex material in the market, reduce the demand for mineral wool in the market so its negative impact on the environment. Thus reducing the consumption of primary energy in the production of mineral wool, and the amount of persistent waste in the environment at the end of the life cycle of mineral wool.
- Along with the reduced demand for mineral wool in the market, its production will decrease, reducing CO2 emissions from the production of mineral wool heat insulation. Also, the amount of CO2 will be reduced by encapsulating it in hemp fibre and recycled waste paper.
- A pilot production line with a production capacity of up to 250 m3 of material per day has been set up.
- The production line is capable of processing up to 750 t/year of low-grade waste paper.
- 7 250 t CO2 reduction per year.
- CE certification obtained for the new BFlex thermal insulation material.
- Reached 50 companies in Europe.
- Patent obtained in Europe and the USA for the new BFlex thermal insulation material.
- Licence developed for the BF Technology production line.
- The new BFlex thermal insulation material has been installed in 2 demonstration buildings in Latvia.
1. In-depth target market research conducted in the Baltic States, Germany, Finland, and the UK.
2. Obtained category B environmental permit for the installation of the pilot production line and the start of production.
3. Installation of a pilot production line including:
- Development of technical drawings and specifications.
- Procurement procedure.
- Receipt, installation and testing of equipment.
- Production of a sample batch of thermal insulation material.
4.Patent application for the BFlex thermal insulation material.
5. Certification of the thermal insulation material in the European Union and the United Kingdom.
6. Development of a business plan for the next 5 years.
7. Development of a production line and technology licence including:
- Development of a technology transfer plan.
- Insulation of 2 demonstration houses in Latvia.
- Preparation of a list of potential license buyers.
8. Development of a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for the BFlex thermal insulation material.
9. Socio-economic impact assessment on the local economy and population.
10.Various marketing activities to communicate and promote the LIFE_PHIPP project, its development and results to the public and industry professionals. The total audience reached by all marketing activities was around 6 344 806.
To read more about each project activity and the results achieved, go to PROJECT ACTIVITIES
PROJECT “PAPER – HEMP INSULATION PILOT PRODUCTION” (LIFE PHIPP, LIFE17ENV/LV/000335) IS IMPLEMENTED WITH THE FINANCIAL SUPPORT OF THE EUROPEAN UNION LIFE PROGRAM AND STATE REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCY REPUBLIC OF LATVIA ADMINISTRATION OF LATVIAN ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION FUND.