RECYCLED WASTE PAPER WITH HEMP FIBRES AS THERMAL INSULATION MATERIAL
Until now, rock wool has been the best known on the thermal insulation market. Recently, however, eco-wadding made from recycled paper has become increasingly popular.
One of the companies that recycles paper and produces eco-wadding from it, among other things, is the Latvian company SIA Balticfloc. In comparison to conventional thermal insulation materials, such as rock wool, ecowool is better suited to Latvia’s climatic conditions, the company has found.
THERMAL INSULATION FROM WASTE PAPER AND HEMP
Waste paper constitutes approximately 30% of houshold waste, it can be processed into thermal insulation material, cellulose, on the other hand, can be reused in asphalt production.
In building thermal insulation material obtained from processing of paper is known as ecowool. Repeated use of materials is especially important because of limited resources of our planet, it corresponds to sustainable environmental policy and is a responsible line of action to preserve environmental diversity for next generations.
SECOND LIFE OF LOW CLASS WASTE PAPER
Currently, the majority of waste paper in Europe (on average 70%) is recycled; however, the remaining 30% is still buried in landfills or burnt. Mostly, this 30% is made up by low class waste paper, which requires a more complicated recycling process. Since 2018, the company SIA “Balticfloc” uses low class waste paper within the framework of the “LIFE PHIPP” project in order to produce a thermal insulation material, combining the waste paper with high-value hemp fibre.
LIFE PROJECTS OF LATVIA: ACHIEVEMENTS OF 2020
In just a couple of days, we will welcome the New Year, but before the celebration it is worth looking back at what has been achieved this year. Although the year has been full of difficulties and challenges, Latvia has taken another step towards mitigating climate change and protecting the environment. Currently, 14 LIFE projects are being implemented in Latvia and their activities are aimed at restoring, protecting, and improving the environment we live in. These projects are financed by the European Commission’s LIFE programme.
ROAD CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING INSULATION MATERIALS ARE PRODUCED FROM LOW CLASS WASTEPAPER IN CĒSIS
Although wastepaper recycling is not a huge problem, approximately 30% of household wastepaper is still buried at landfills or burnt, for example, a large part of packaging material and mixed paper. SIA “Balticfloc”, a company established in Cēsis, has launched a project, which will allow recycling also low class wastepaper in the nearest future. By adding hemp fibre, the company plans to produce a thermal insulation material with enhanced thermal conductivity. Currently, the factory recycles 160 tonnes of wastepaper monthly, which is approximately eight trucks.
WASTE PAPER IS TRANSFORMED INTO NEW PRODUCTS
SIA Balticfloc was recognised as the most highly appreciated new project of the European Commission (EC) LIFE programme in Latvia.
The Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development has appreciated the goal of the Cēsis company – to develop alternatives for recycling of waste paper and hemp fibre by producing innovative heat insulation materials with improved heat conduction, as well as more effective sorting and recycling of waste paper in the region.
“GREEN” MONEY FOR ENTERPRISES ON PAPER ONLY
The generously financed Life programme of the European Union aimed at environmental and climatic improvements attempts to balance environmental protection and business interests in words only. As experience of Balticfloc, the recipient of the Life award, evidences, it is almost impossible for a company to break into the closed club of acquirers of environmental funds.
CLIMATE CHAMPIONS – LIFE AWARD 2018 WAS GIVEN IN RIGA
On 22 November 2018, the Minister of Environmental Protection and Regional Development Kaspars Gerhards ceremoniously gave the LIFE award 2018 to the most successful implementers of LIFE programme projects in six nominations.
The LIFE programme is a European Union financial instrument in the area of environment and climate aiming to promote, highlight, develop and implement the environmental and climate policy of the EU co-financing projects with European added value.
PROJECT “PAPER – HEMP INSULATION PILOT PRODUCTION” (LIFE PHIPP, LIFE17ENV/LV/000335) IS IMPLEMENTED WITH THE FINANCIAL SUPPORT OF THE EUROPEAN UNION LIFE PROGRAM AND STATE REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT AGENCY REPUBLIC OF LATVIA ADMINISTRATION OF LATVIAN ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION FUND.